Friday, November 9, 2012

Last in Line

       So today we started the workings of a new song titled, "Last in Line". This song is very different from our other music. Like I have explained before the song writing process for each song is entirely different. The way that this track came about is that I basically said to myself. "Okay, today I'm gonna write a song in the key of F#." That is pretty much how it happened. Sometimes, I will just pick a key and just go with it until something sounds good. Usually it only takes about an hour till I get something really concrete. The first part of this song that I started writing was the square wave synthesizer arpeggio in the beginning of the song. I have been kind of playing with an arpeggio similar to this one for days on the piano. It wasn't till I sat down today that I actually recorded it into the computer. Believe it or not, a lot of the song writing we do is a combination of randomness and intuition. I usually have a random thought of what would sound "cool" in my head, and then I can usually always figure out how to make it happen. The whole idea of writers block doesn't really apply to the way we write music. Usually if we stop writing a song it is only because we just didn't like it enough to finish it. Most of the time that happens before we even bother recording vocals for it.
       My main goal for this song was that it had a big powerful chorus line. The way I usually go about this is a lot of layering different instrument parts that harmonize together. Sometimes, I just wing it and hope it sounds good mixed together. For some reason this technique seems to always work out for us. Which for the most part is pretty funny. Another big part that I wanted to include in this track was some really cool drums. We ended up layering 3 different drum sets for this track to give it a really big over the top sound. I think it ended up working out really well.
      As always, the trickiest part for every song is the lyrics. If you actually listen to what I'm singing is really makes no sense at all. Usually, with lyrics I have a habit of making nonsense sounding like something really important. As I was explaining earlier, randomness comes really in handy when writing these tracks. To us the most important part of these songs is the melody. If the melody sounds good, we are happy. Overall, this song seems to be coming along really well. Hope you enjoy it!

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment